Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Getting ready to write the next chapter...

After 16 years, it looks like I will be bidding farewell to Stay-At-Home-Momhood. Gotta go back to work. I have a lot of mixed emotions about it. On one hand, it would be nice to re-enter the workforce and bring home a paycheck, as well as have a reason to slap on some makeup in the morning. :) On the other hand, I don't want to have to give up this blessing that staying at home with my children has been. And a blessing it truly has been.  When Gary & I started dating, I let him know that being an at-home mom was the only option for me.  Thank goodness he agreed.  (He knows what side his bread's buttered on!) LOL  So staying home with the children has always been the plan - even before they were conceived.

I imagine right about now any working mom reading this is not feeling a damn bit sorry for me - and I get that. I really do. But I've always hated the divisiveness between "working" & "at-home" moms, so I think we can all agree that being a Mom is a tough job, no matter what your situation. 'Nuff said.
I've been trying to put together my résumé. I figured it would only take a half hour or so. HA! I’ve learned that it is quite a challenge to configure a résumé after being out of the workforce for 16 years! What exactly do I put on it??? “Can sort laundry with eyes closed” or perhaps “willing to wipe booger-y nose with shirt-tail”??? How about “not afraid to confiscate cell phone and/or iPod from mouthy teenager”?
I started some online research and found plenty of conflicting opinions on whether or not to embellish your years of staying at home with subterfuge or completely brush off those years by ignoring them. I think that saying I am a “domestic manager” with 16 years experience is a little silly. I plan to go with the truth – I haven’t had a job in 16 years. The plan is to focus on my abilities, qualifications, and education. And if that fails to fill up the page, maybe I’ll go with a really big font. How about some great clip art?  :)


Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck Heather!! I completely understand your frustration w/ the "stay-at-home mom" vs. "working mom" - I've walked that line for the 12 1/2 years that I've been a mama! I found a good balance when I went back to work part time, two to three days a week. I love my job, but I also love being home w/ my kiddos. I feel so blessed to be able to do both! Looking forward to hearing about this new adventure in your life!

    ReplyDelete